The Ridley Township Public Library was originally founded in 1957 by the Women’s Club of Ridley Township. From 1957 to 1960 it operated out of the Woodlyn School. In 1962 it reopened in a small room of the new Municipal Building and was overseen by a Library Board established in 1960.
In 1968 ground was broken for a new library to adjoin the Municipal Building. In April of 1971 the Ridley Township Library Board hired a certified professional librarian, and the new library opened to the public in September. Formal dedication of the Ridley Township Public Library took place on December 21, 1971.
At this time the library was reorganized under the provisions of the Pennsylvania Library Code (P.L.324). The library first participated in State Aid program in 1973. In June 1979 a separate children’s room was opened on the lower level. In 1981, the library became part of the Delaware County Library System.
Construction began in 2017 on a new building for the library, adjacent to the Municipal Building. The library opened in its current space in May 2018. In September 2018 the Board of Trustees voted to change the name to the Ridley Township Public Library & Resource Center to more accurately reflect the many ways the library serves the community.