Adding Value to the Ridley Township Community
The Ridley Township Public Library and Resource Center, located adjacent to the municipal building at 100 East MacDade Blvd. in Folsom, is a member of the Delaware County Library System. The library has books, e-books, magazines, movies, cake pans, video games, mobile Hotspots, Kindles, Roku streaming devices, museum and zoo passes, board games, and other materials available for members to borrow. The library also offers many valuable services, such as faxing, computers with software and printers, notary services, wireless Internet, test proctoring, and programs and events for all ages.
The Library offers a range of classes, programs and events for residents of all ages. Children’s programming (birth through Grade 5) includes literature-based story times, craft and gaming, and a robust summer reading schedule. Teen programs (Grades 6 through 12) include table-top and video games, craft activities and volunteer opportunities. Adult events include author visits, Quizzos, lectures on art, history, science and other topics, book groups, Internet instruction and even yoga and meditation.
A library board of seven members is appointed to three-year terms by the Township Commissioners as provided for in the Library Code of the State of Pennsylvania.
The board determines policies, goals and finances for the library.
The library board generally meets on the fourth Monday of each month at 6 PM. Meetings are in the library meeting room. The next meeting will be August 26.
President: Diane Maginnis
Vice President: Judith Augustine
Treasurer: Joan Mitchell
Secretary: Christine Koway
Member: Lisa Maffei Hahn
Member: Ann Whitehouse
Member: Suzanne Brown
Commissioner: Elizabeth Cummins
School District Liaison: Christine McMenamin
Board Meeting Minutes
Overdue charges are calculated per day. Charges for lost materials will be the cost of the item plus $5 processing fee.
The overdue rates are as follows:
|Adult & YA materials||$.25|
|Interlibrary loan materials||$.50|
|DVDs & Video Games||$1.00|
|Kindles & Rokus||$3.00|
|Book Club Kits||$3.00|
Ridley Township Public Library is a member of the Delaware County Library System and complies with the Delaware County Electronic Information Network and Internet Safety Policy..
Friends of the Library
The Friends Group provides a program of volunteer, promotion, and fundraising to assist with Library activities. They help acquire important materials, programs, and equipment beyond the scope of the library’s operating budget. The Friends Group also acts as an important advocate for the library within the community. Learn more…
History of the Ridley Township Public Library
The Ridley Township Public Library was originally founded in 1957 by the Women’s Club of Ridley Township. From 1957 to 1960 it operated out of the Woodlyn School. In 1962 it reopened in a small room of the new Municipal Building and was overseen by a Library Board established in 1960.
In 1968 ground was broken for a new library to adjoin the Municipal Building. In April of 1971 the Ridley Township Library Board hired a certified professional librarian, and the new library opened to the public in September. Formal dedication of the Ridley Township Public Library took place on December 21, 1971.
At this time the library was reorganized under the provisions of the Pennsylvania Library Code (P.L.324). The library first participated in State Aid program in 1973. In June 1979 a separate children’s room was opened on the lower level. In 1981, the library became part of the Delaware County Library System.
In recent years, the library expanded its services and programs with emphasis on electronic access. The library has an automated circulation system as well as an online catalog so that patrons may search in the library or at home. Access to several electronic databases is provided by the Delaware County Library System. In addition, patrons can use computers at the library for research, the Internet, and word processing.