A library board of seven members is appointed by the Township Commissioners as provided for in the Library Code of the State of Pennsylvania. The board determines policies, goals and finances for the library. The library board generally meets on the fourth Monday of each month at 6:00pm. Meetings are in the lower level library meeting room.
President: Diane Maginnis
Vice President: Judy Augustine
Treasurer: Donna Mellon
Secretary: Joan Mitchell
Member: William Shiley
Member: Ann Whitehouse
Member: Mark Heinemann
Commissioner: Sheri Zuppo
Commissioner: Patricia Hollabaugh
Liaison from School District: Christine McMenamin
The Ridley Township Public Library was originally founded in 1957 by the Women's Club of Ridley Township. From 1957 to 1960 it operated out of the Woodlyn School. In 1962 it reopened in a small room of the new Municipal Building and was overseen by a Library Board established in 1960.
In 1968 ground was broken for a new library to adjoin the Municipal Building. In April of 1971 the Ridley Township Library Board hired a certified professional librarian, and the new library opened to the public in September. Formal dedication of the Ridley Township Public Library took place on December 21, 1971.
At this time the library was reorganized under the provisions of the Pennsylvania Library Code (P.L.324). The library first participated in State Aid program in 1973. In June 1979 a separate children's room was opened on the lower level. In 1981, the library became part of the Delaware County Library System.
In recent years, the library expanded its services and programs with emphasis on electronic access. The library has an automated circulation system as well as an online catalog so that patrons may search in the library or at home. Access to several electronic databases is provided by the Delaware County Library System. In additions, patrons can use computers at the library for research, the Internet, and word processing.